PATHWAYS: Art on the Minuteman Bikeway
Arlington Public Art is partnering with the Arlington Commission on the Arts and Culture to commission temporary works of public art for a section of the Bikeway running from Linwood Circle to the entrance at Swan Way near the Kickstand Cafe. Plans are currently underway for 2018 projects.
In 2017, we commissioned 5 projects:
- Rhetoric of Opposites by Nilou Moochhala, a work consisting of 25 pairs of words stencilled on the pavement of the bikeway, exploring the way language can be used to polarize opinion and divide people.
- Flutter by collaborators Claudia Ravischiere and Michael Moss, an installation of 65 translucent plexiglas butterflies calling attention to the amazing strength and resilience of these tiny creatures.
- City Fox by Stewy, a stenciled fox and rabbit by British street artist who has catalogued urban wildlife surviving in the City of London.
- Ripple by Adria Arch and the Arlington Knitting Brigade, a large-scale fiber piece transforming a group of trees with color, pattern and texture.
- Current by Frank Vasello, an environmental sculpture constructed of natural materials gathered on site arranged in a pattern that evokes a river flowing down a hillside towards Spy Pond.
Ripple and Current will continue on view through 2018.
PATHWAYS was originally organized as part of the celebration of the Bikeway's 25th Anniversary. It pays tribute to the rustic beauty of the Bikeway, a converted railway track that is one of the Town's treasures, a well-travelled greenspace used and enjoyed by thousands every day.
PATHWAYS is curated by Arlington's Public Art Consultant Cecily Miller in collaboration with a committee of representatives from APA and ACAC: Adria Arch, Lorri Berenberg, Barbara Costa and Stephanie Marlin-Curiel. For more information contact Cecily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RECENT PRESS – find out more about Pathways
PATHWAYS is supported by a grant from the Arlington Cultural Council, a local agency, and the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.